Thursday, March 08, 2007
I have to face the fact: I Am An Accent Snob

There it is! I thought I was snob free, but I discovered last night that I am an accent snob and I am canceling a date because of it. I have been chatting with Mr. Adorable Country Boy for a little over a week now and we have a big date planned for Saturday. I am canceling. My internet went poof last night in the middle of a chat so I grabbed up the phone and called him. We have never talked on the phone. It was a rude awakening. You see I have pics of him and his chat logs and I had this image in my head what he was going to sound like...a nice soft Southern gentleman's accent. WRONG! I could barely understand him his southern country boy accent was soooo bad. I could not wait to get off the phone, but Sassy etiquette prevented me from immediately hanging up. It was an agonizing phone call for me.

So I am sending him a "Dear John" email and no, I am not telling him I am canceling because of his accent. I am going to tell him another truth that I have been trying to avoid. I know in my heart of hearts if Biker Dude called me up right now and made amends I would give him one more try. I am not over him. I thought I could be a flip modern woman and shrug off the breakup and jump back in the ring. I thought I could pretend that he did not find his way into my heart. I just don't have the heart to do the dating thing right now. So I also plan to cancel the other date I scheduled for next week with a different guy.

And that decision is going to be a wise one for now for another reason: I am down to my last two classes for my BBA and they are going to be tough with two personal papers and two team papers due every week. Hell, I will be lucky if I have time to sleep between school and work.

I am going to end this post on a funny note. I had decided to text message adorable country boy yesterday. Well, his name is the same as the ex-boyfriend who turned gay. I thought I had deleted ex-boyfriend from my phone. NOPE! Guess who I was texting? OMG! and ex-boyfriend's last text message said to me "Luv ya"! I am hoping:


1) that he did not have my number plugged into his cell and thought I was just a random wrong number and not a stalking ex-girlfriend

2) that he was enjoying his joke whether he knew it was on me or not. I was mortified when I realized what I had done, but considering how last night turned out, I think I am glad it was sent to him instead.

PS:
So you guys don't think I am completely heartless, this is what I wrote to adorable country boy:

"I am afraid I am going to cancel on Saturday. I feel bad and I hate that it is so last minute, but I am feeling conflicted. I told you I had dated someone since I became separated. It is only recently that we stopped seeing each other and I thought I was just fine going right back into the dating scene. However, if my friend called me tomorrow and said he wanted to try again, I would go back without hesitation. That is not fair to you and you are so sweet that I just don't want to be the cause of any hurt. I realize I should have figured this out before now and I cannot apologize enough for what must appear as leading you on."

Also, I had a voice mail from adorable country boy at lunch and I let Ryan listen to it...she could not understand him either.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger utenzi said...

I think taking a short break from dating is a good idea, Sassy. Your mind is definitely on the past not the future and that could screw up any dates you go on. Recover--then move on. I think I read that on a fortune cookie once...

11:49 AM  
Blogger Diane Mandy said...

A girls got to know her limitations.

10:16 PM  
Blogger David said...

Well if you are not over biker dude, I say good call. What if he is thinking the same thing? (Remember, I said "WHAT IF" . . . it could happen) That he is not over Assy. Then he sees you in town with Cowboy dude and then says, "Well didn't take her long to get over me" So could be a bad situation. But as someone who talks country, I am pretty offended!!! LOL

When my wife and I moved to Chicago we went to Pizza Hut. She went to the bathroom and by the time she got back there were 4 of the young girls that work there at our table going "SAY SOMETHING!! ANYTHING!" and they were all giggling. So some women like the southern accent. By the way, you talk funny to us too :-)

7:43 AM  
Blogger SassyAssy said...

Utenzi-Well, we shall see how long the break works...the allure of finding "the one" is pretty strong.

Di-exactly! Knew you would understand (remember Bobby M????)

Dave-clearly you did not read my entry closely--I don't mind Southern accents, it is the country boy southern accent that I don't like. And I love the LA drawl! Chicago, huh? That is new info

10:54 AM  
Blogger David said...

Yep we lived in Chicago, well Glenview actually for almost 2 years. I was stationed at Glenview Naval Air Station while I was in the Navy. OH! I read your post, but I enjoy messing with you :)

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home