Monday, July 09, 2007
The Last Nerve

I am a wreak! The paper was sent back to me with a note about it not being long enough....I expected that and it was not an issue. However, what tee'd me off was the report he attached to the end of my paper. He uses a service called turnitin.com that looks for plagiarism. Despite the fact that everything in my paper is cited properly, this "service" still found phrases that it considers plagiarized because a particular phrase can be found verbatim. For example: "scandals of Enron and WorldCom have highlighted the need for" this was flagged as being plagiarized. Frankly, how in the hell can you find a sentence with Enron and WorldCom in it that has not been written elsewhere? How can you re-write this sentence without tripping onto the phrase elsewhere? Maybe I could slip this in: "scandals of WorldCom and Enron have highlighted the need for more oral sex to relieve tension". Do you think the professor would notice? His damn turnitin.com would fer sure because it will point to this site as being a primary source....even if I properly credit the sentence with: According to the Glitter whore...blah blah blah...

I should have this damn thing finished tonight and I guess I am just going to have to take my chances with the evil elves at turnitin.com. I rewrote the phrases he highlighted (except for the Enron one) and pray dear god that I somehow have not plagiarized someone in my rephrasing.
Then I get to start trying to cram in Biology into a brain full of business stuff. I bought a kid's illustrated encyclopedia to aid in this endeavor. I am hoping that pictures coupled with the words will make enough of an impression to get me through the CLEP on the 20th. I have it on good authority that the encyclopedia is pretty good so I hope it is good enough to help me pass so I can have an enjoyable summer.

Hope ya'll had a great weekend!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger utenzi said...

Uh-oh. I might have to stop visiting this blog. My Mom, long long ago, warned me about girls with CLEP!

Good luck with both the paper and whatever you have to do to get through the CLEP, Sassy.

11:02 AM  
Blogger SassyAssy said...

aren't you the funny man

11:18 AM  
Blogger RW said...

No no no. That plagiarism "catch" is completely bogus. I'd leave it in and tell him to get real. Seriously.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home