Sunday, August 31, 2008
Will Love Come?

This Sassy girl has been on a quest most of my life to find "love". It is one of the most elusive things despite the fact that most everyone seems to be on a similar path: to find or to keep love. I have hit the age of 40 and have had brief brushes with what could loosely be termed love.

Frankly, the choices I encounter leave me to speculate that I should take the path of pleasure and throw love out the window. On one of my dating profiles, I filled in a tongue in cheek line "I hope if you contact me please God let your picture show you are wearing a wife beater, standing in front of a mirror posing, and please be into hunting and fishing." Snarky doesn't translate well apparently...so my inbox is crammed with emails from every redneck from here to California and a few Canucks too. Let's not leave out the lovely romance scammers who all wish me to raise their non-existent children while they engineer some bridge in Nigeria/Brazil or stay for months on end on an oil rig off the coast of the UK. Then I have the late teen/early 20's set who wish me to teach them "things".

The man I am looking for: the professional who doesn't do drugs or is an alcoholic, who isn't married and cheating on his wife or looking for a third for a threesome, who is smart, funny, charming, sincere, who is not emotionally damaged to the point that he is incapable of love, who is not bipolar or OCD, who does not have six motherless children, who can write more than a passable sentence in English, who is not a closet freak boy, who loves sex, who is capable of commitment, who wants to travel the world and explore possiblities--this man does not exist. I think my odds of having an alien spaceship land on my deck are higher than finding a man that appeals to me on a long term basis.

So perhaps a life of pleasure rather than love should be the choice for Sassy. What do ya'll think?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger utenzi said...

I'm certainly not well qualified to give advice on romantic issues, Sassy, but I think you might be right. Love just might be too elusive to be worth the chase. And while on your quest for pleasures, fleeting and fancy free, you just might accidentally happen upon true love. You never know...

9:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think Utenzi might be right - love found me years ago when I was leaving my friend for a different job, and has never left. That being said, there's been every other emotion along the way.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Smug said...

For myself, love found me when I was steadfastly determined not to find it. I was quite happy on my own and was very unintrested in changing my ways. I became happy with myself, happy living just for me. However, love had other plans for me. Perhaps living your own life to the fullest and finding pleasures outside of that found in men will have the same effect for you? I am so sorry that you have not yet found true love, but perhaps, love is not all it is cracked up to be. I miss my old carefree life sometimes!

1:06 PM  
Blogger freqman24 said...

I think I look good in a wife beater shirt:)

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home