Thursday, August 02, 2007
Tasty Tracey & Sexy Sassy


It all started in homeroom with a guy named Bud. He decided that these two wild girls needed suitable nicknames so he started calling them Tasty Tracey & Sexy Sassy. To look at this picture you would never guess that we were anywhere close to being tasty or sexy, but the names stuck all through high school right up to the reunion this past weekend.

I did not make it to my 21st (yeah, weird I know) high school reunion, but I did want to reconnect with Tracey so I emailed her and we met for dinner tonight. We have not seen each other since we were 19. I was not sure what to expect while I waited for her and then she came strolling up: with spikey short hair, funky jewelry and classy clothes. Yup! Some things never change despite a decade or two. We laughed at the similar hair cuts and styles. We slid comfortably into conversation and spent several delightful hours catching up. She gave me the gossip on the reunion too.

We had a good laugh over the Tasty & Sexy nicknames and how we never did the party scene during high school. In fact, we were very conservative and low key when it came to social activities, but to hear the guys at school (still) talk about it we were at every party dancing on a table and twirling our bras over our heads. We still cannot figure out how this myth came into being because we did not attend a single party nor did we tell people we were party-goers. I guess we will remain a legend in someone's mind...okay...Paul, Bud, Pete, Randy....the list goes on.

When we exhausted those topics, she dipped into the subject of religion. Her husband is a youth minister and she helps him. I just didn't have the heart to tell her that I am agnostic now. I have studied the Bible extensively in the past so I was able to "talk the talk" with her. I even managed to deflect the question of whether I have accepted Christ into my heart. I respect the fact that she is a very spiritual person in her own way and I think she would do the same for me, but I am so burnt out on the whole religion thingy that I just took the easy way out.

We are going to try to meet once a month for dinner and I hope we stick to it. She was a great friend in school and I felt that old familiar comfortable kindred spiritedness with her still.

Here is a blast from the past:
Sassy Poses for the yearbook
Sassy Senior Portrait

Tracey

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger utenzi said...

That Bud! So y'all had the names and the rep but not the actual activities? How bizarre, Sassy. Are you both trying to make up for lost time now?

8:27 AM  
Blogger SassyAssy said...

Utenzi--I can't speak for Tracey, but I doubt it in her case...now me? Well, you read my blog so figure it out.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Too funny!

I know that nostalgia well and isn't great to find out that with some people some things and the connection never changes? Glad you met up with her after so long!

I have missed you amiga mia! Forgive me my absence but I am hoping to be back more consistently now.

Besos!

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home