Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Suburbia and the Single Gal

My cousin Jen can be a slave driver and this weekend proved no exception. Frankly, if I am not busy in some sort of activity I tend to fall asleep, so Jen's ways are quite compatible with mine. I worked side by side with Jen to get the house and yard prepped for Cutie-Patootie Ryan's party. I made food and I helped with decorations. I even managed to keep my shoes on for most of my visit. Those Yanks like to keep their shoes on and well, the southern custom I have really taken to is the shoes off one.

Enter the guests.

After the hugs and conversations with various cousins and an aunt by marriage, I realized that I was the sole single woman at the party. I was surrounded by yuppie families either on the cusp of the 2.5 kid dream or there already. Grandparents, parents, and kids abound--and then there was me. I realized that once again I was the odd girl out. No hubby and no kiddies!

My past experiences in same situations told me to avoid all the men unless I was related to them. Women get weirded out when there is a single woman at a non-single person event. They tend to view the single gal as being there to scout for a man of her own. I don't get that rationale. I guess there are women who are desperate enough to look for married man, but to me they are just trouble. (Besides, I have my own on again-off again fling with Lovah not that the guests knew about him). Anyway, because of the weird vibes my married "sistahs" tend to send out, I was left with just a few non-relative choices to spend my time with: the older crowd and the kiddies. I drifted between both groups. I yukked it up with the older ones about something or another and I blew bubbles with the kiddies. A few of the mothers drifted over to speak for a minute or two, but basically I was on my own. I survived the party by taking a few breaks and slipping up to my bedroom to call Lovah or email him or just cruise the internet for a little sanity.

It was a lovely party, a good time was had by all, the food was exquisite, and I even got to hold and coo over a cute baby. I like being able to indulge my desire to be near babies because I do think they are adorable and fascinating, but the thought of changing diapers and doing the early a.m. feedings....not so much a desire I have.

Suburbia and Sassy are just not compatible! Give me the city, give me my lovely apartment, give me other singles to mingle with. Once upon a time, I wanted the suburbia dream with 2.5 kids, but that ship sailed so long ago. My current dreams include a stable loving man, a lot of travel, a Masters, and very successful business(es). I woke up to some anxiety attacks while in Jersey...my gypsy soul was feeling a bit trapped there.

My camera is in the car or I would post some pics....maybe tonight I will get that done!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger utenzi said...

I thought Ryan was your friend back home, where ever that is, Sassy. This is quite confusing! So Ryan lives in NJ where your relatives also live?

Just as well about the not having the kids. The two part of 2.5 isn't so bad but having a half kid is just messy.

8:56 AM  
Blogger SassyAssy said...

Utenzi, I never took you for being obtuse, but really! There is exists more than one Ryan in my life!

I do agree about the .5 kid...who the hell came up with that statistic anyway?

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home