Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Smorgasboard

So Lovah and I were hanging out several weekends ago. I hopped out of bed and declared it was a great morning for IHOP. Lovah pointed out that I should probably study for the biology clep first and I saw the logic of getting that out of the way so I agreed to wait. As I was studying, visions of enchiladas started to fill my head and I asked him where his favorite Mexican restaurant was. He looked at me confused and said "I thought you wanted to go to IHOP?" I did, but then tacos and enchiladas were dancing around and tormenting my poor starving self. "I do because a nice stack of 'cakes sound good with eggs over easy, BUT so do enchiladas."

A little bit later I asked where a nice non-chain Italian restaurant was because I was thinking a nice fettuccine alfredo or linguine with clam sauce would be divine. He was confused and perhaps a bit exasperated with my loosey-goosey ways. I explained to him that I would know where I wanted to eat by the time we hit his door to leave. I like choices! I change my mind a lot and when it comes to food it depends on my mood. He definitely does not approach things in the same manner as I do and it makes for an interesting discussion.

Anyway, being a dutiful boyfriend (for a brief blip in time), he hauled out the phonebook and found a delightful Italian restaurant. He read the menu to me and I was really interested in a nice plate of pasta, crusty bread, a glass of vino....By the time we left, I decided as much as I was craving Italian food, my diet would be better served by going to Mexican. I don't overeat at Mexi restaurants and I lost the desire for a short stack (there was always Sunday for that).

Lovah has never had Brazilian food and we have,in this little southern backwater where I live, not one, not two, but FIVE Brazilian restaurants to choose from. So I guess I will drive him crazy while I decide which of the five I want to go to this weekend...one also has Greek food, another Italian, another Spanish. It is a nice mix and each has its pluses. He is going to think I lied because I told him we only had four Brazilian restaurants, but as I write this I remembered another one. I think we have more Brazilian restaurants than NYC. The owners are all friends (or former friends in some cases) and they settled in this area together years ago. Lucky us!

Poor Lovah! He likes life nice and orderly: the same-old, same-old. Me? I am like a pinball whizzing around, banging, clanging and making as many bells and whistles ring as possible. I have the attention span of a gnat and it makes for an interesting life for me. For the logic-bound person, I am a conundrum, a walking talking contradiction of choices, dreams, hopes. I hope I never change (don't think there is much worry about that!).

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger utenzi said...

Wow. I can empathize with him, Sassy. I tend to decide things, often days in advance, and then follow through with never even a slight inclination to change the plan. You really decided on 3 different types of restaurants all before lunch?

I don't know about Brazilian or Spanish food but the Greek and Italian sound great. I live in the middle of nowhere and going to any real restaurant involves a journey!

BTW, how can you not over-eat at Mexican restaurants, Sassy? I love, love, love them and can eat myself sick when I go to one.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Smug said...

I am kind of like your boyfriend, I get a craving in my taste buds and nothing else will satisfy!

Also, Utenzi has a point - How does Mexican help you stay on the diet, with all the cheese and sauce and chips, and all the yummmmmmmmmmm......

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home