Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Clash of the Cliches


Jade and I went out for our post-exercise dinner last night. We were both in serious need of nourishment as she led the class with some very grueling ab work. We headed to a steakhouse for a ribeye (Jade), half rack of ribs (me) and some cool and refreshing mojitos.

We were sipping on our mojitos when the waiter came to our table with another round. Our confusion was plain for him to see since we did not order another round so he explained that some gentlemen at the bar sent them over. Naturally, I was interested in what the gents looked like, but Jade, being the practical soul, told the waiter to put the drinks down. She was not about to turn away two perfectly good mojitos. I scanned the bar for the faces of the two men I thought sent the mojitos. There was the group of three business men, but their backs were turned from us. Several college-aged guys were knocking back a few beers and seemed wrapped up in the baseball game on the telly. Three sets of couples were interspersed amongst the group. Ah! wait...two biker dudes, complete with black leather, red bandanas, an earring winking in an ear of one, were blatantly staring in our direction. I asked the waiter if they were the ones and he said yes. I told Jade about our admirers. I can't recall this ever happening to me so I was not sure of the etiquette. I mean, if you accept the drinks as we had, what is our obligation? Do we send a round to them? Invite them to join us? Blow a kiss? Ignore them? Neither of us was interested so Jade decided we would ignore them. They stared for a bit longer, but then got the message and went back to their own drinks.

Has this ever happened to you? What did you do?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger unreuly said...

generally you raise the drink they bought you and "cheers" them from afar. but if you didn't want them to come over, you did the right thing by just ignoring it!!! don't want to give the poor souls the wrong ideas!

8:28 AM  
Blogger utenzi said...

The last woman that bought me alcohol gave me 4 mini-bottles of wine and I slept with her. However since I slept with her prior and also after the wine gift, I don't think the alcohol had much to do with it. On the other hand, it didn't hurt!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Fairbanks said...

If the guy sends a drink and he's cute I always like to walk over and thank him and proceed with small talk. If the guy is not cute I just drink it and make no move to talk to him. It's just a drink after all and it's not like you asked for it. They were nice enough to send it so I might thank them on my way out the door.

12:16 PM  
Blogger SassyAssy said...

Roselle & Evercurious thanks for the heads up!

Utenzi--sounds like you got pretty lucky!

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home