Thursday, June 14, 2007
Gaggy

I was 18 when I first met him. He was the best friend of Michael. Michael was dating my friend Di. David was handsome and charming. He had dark hair and deep brown velvet eyes. He could have stood to lose a few pounds, but it really did not detract from the overall good looks. David was usually called Gaggy by all who knew him well.

My first memory of him was sitting next to him at a restaurant with a large group of mutual friends. He must have had 5 or 6 Long Island ice teas and he was outrageously funny. He led the group in singing Jimmy Buffet songs and eventually turned his charm on me. We verbally sparred all evening. My sarcasm was a defense against the growing attraction I was feeling for him. The chemistry between us was like electricity and the air around us crackled with it.

I was hooked. He was a bad boy and we flirted heavily each time we were together. I believe we may even have exchanged phone calls, but that could be a false memory. Anyway, I had met him during a brief period that he had broken up with his girlfriend and they were soon back together. I really wanted to hate her, but she was simply too nice. I really wanted to hate Gaggy and the reaction he provoked in me, but I couldn't. The chemistry between us was very evident to everyone around us and it made for some uncomfortable moments when all three of us were together at a party.

Gaggy and his girlfriend eventually married. I would like to say that the attraction between us went by the wayside, but it never did. It was always as strong as ever. He could make me laugh until I cried--and that is not an easy reaction to get from me. My body would fairly vibrate when he was around so strong was the pull he had.

I cannot remember the last time I saw or spoke to Gaggy but I think it must be about 6 years or more. Long enough that I only give him a passing thought once in a blue moon.

This is my little tribute to my friend Gaggy. I learned yesterday that he died earlier this year. I will miss his laughter, his passion, his sarcasm, his light. I will miss the electrical charge that ran through me when I first would see him. My world is a little quieter today.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger unreuly said...

oh sassy i'm so so sorry for your loss. i too have a gaggy that i haven't seen or heard from/about in over a decade.

cherish those lovely memories you two made - i'm sure that's all he'd want :)

11:02 AM  
Blogger utenzi said...

That's terrible, Sassy. Even though he wasn't in your life anymore, it's still painful to hear something like that. Especially when someone with such charisma passes on. He must have been quite young.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Diane Mandy said...

I'll always remember that first night you met. Chemistry was amazing. I'm raising a glass in his honor. A life half lived...very sad.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home