Sunday, December 09, 2007
Ecphrasis

Ecphrasis is the dramatic literary description of a work of art.

I started a creative writing class recently and I am fired up. I have tales, visions, words whirling about in my brain begging to be put onto paper. The class is being held at one of the local art museums and the concept is a current trend of merging the written word with art. We looked at various paintings for just a few minutes and we wrote the first five words that came to us for each painting. We were then assigned to pick just one painting to concentrate on. We examined it and wrote key descriptives. We must now construct a story, play, or poem based on our exercise. My short story is based on a painting by Sargent. It has always called to me when I visit the museum and now I am inspired with a story to tell.

The museum will hold a contest at the end of the workshop series and the winners will have their works published in a book, paired with a picture of the inspiring work of art. The book will be sold in the museum gift shop. Some of the workshops will pair us with local artists for a joint endeavor. I am glad I signed up for this workshop! It is something I have always wanted to do. Next thing to mark off my list of classes will be a creative photography class.

I was so inspired by the workshop and my #1 cousin's encouragement that I started the novel that I have been toying with for several months now and the words are fairly flying across the computer screen. I have an editor lined up to review it when I am finished. I have some leads on getting it published too. Let the creativity flow!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger utenzi said...

That sounds very exciting, Sassy. Despite not having a lot of it myself, I truly admire and am fascinated by creative people.

Let those fingers fly since your muse is obviously inspiring you.

8:16 PM  
Blogger SassyAssy said...

My dearest Utenzi--you sell yourself short. I think you are a very creative person. One has but to look at your photos for proof of that. You are also cleverly creative with your words. Yes...you have a creative soul!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Jerrster said...

jk rowling......make up something that sounds silly and make it pay off.

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home