Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Mommy n Me

Every year around this time I write a post about my mother. Each year between her death seems to lessen the pain of the loss a fraction. I managed to make it most of this month without crying until I unpacked a box over the weekend. I came upon some cookbooks that I inherited from my mom. One of them sent me hurtling back in time:



Mom taught me how to cook and bake from the time I was a tot. She would always set aside a "mommy n me" day and we would do a host of things. Usually, I was content to be in the kitchen with her on those days. She would pull down this cookbook and hand it to me. I could pick any cake I wanted in the book and we would bake it. I loved the looks of the cake on the cover, but I never chose that one. I always went to the poppyseed cake.



I don't know why I was drawn to it (maybe an early poppyseed addiction?), but I just loved the picture with the poppyseeds sprinkled all over the icing.

So *cheers* to my mother and our fun poppyseed cake baking days.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Smug said...

Maybe you should make the poppysead cake for old times sake. Will it be as good as you remember??

4:27 PM  
Blogger Tiffany Fairbanks said...

sweet.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home